The client wanted a fairly traditional look for their kitchen, keeping in line with the Edwardian period property. The main layout of the kitchen was decided early on in the process. The main objective was to maintain symmetry along the run. When designing a kitchen, it is important to understand how a client lives and uses the space; at first, our recommendation was to have wall units either side of the chimney, freeing up the worktop space next to the range. However, when the client said that any empty worktop space in their home would get cluttered, we agreed that the dressers would work best as they allowed for appliances and other items to be hidden and out of site.
To keep the look of the kitchen from being overly fussy, we kept the drawer fronts simple with just a flat front and our frame-to-ground plinth on the main runs also adds a clean look to an otherwise traditional style kitchen. The client wanted to combine navy blue and grey but instead of going for the popular French Grey paint colour, they wanted something that had a slightly warmer tone so they chose Little Greene’s China Clay Dark which creates a warm and elegant feel for the space and ties in well with the adjacent dining and living rooms.
The island had to be kept quite narrow because the room itself is quite narrow but it is highly functional. The sink, dishwasher and bins are situated opposite the range making for a very practical and cohesive area to prep and cook food in. A detail we used to maintain the symmetry eas to keep an overhang at both ends of the island consistent.
- Location: Highgate, London
- Style: Framed, Shaker kitchen with quadrant moulding on Shaker panels
- Main Cabinet colour: Little Greene China Clay Dark (178)
- Island Cabinet colour: Little Greene Basalt (221)
- Door hardware: Sally Bourne Pewter 30mm knobs
- Drawer hardware: Sally Bourne Pewter 30mm cups
- Worktops: SG Carrara quartz, polished, 30mm
- Range Model: Lacanche Cluny 100cm
- Extractor: Westin Cache 1100, stainless steel
- Fridge: Smeg S7323LFEP integrated tall fridge
- Freezer: Smeg S7220FNDP integrated tall freezer
- Dishwasher: Integrated Miele G6660 SCVi
- Sink: Franke Kubus KBX 120 34-34
- Main Tap: Perrin & Rowe Phoenician 4360 with white levers and rinse
- Mini Tap: Perrin & Rowe Traditional Mini Filtration Tap 1605
- Waste Disposal: Insinkerator EVO 200 waste disposal